So I found a shrug that looked fairly uncomplicated and went to work. It's Lion Brand's Easy Lace Shrug, if you have an account with Ravelry or Lion Brand it is easy to find, and it should look like this.
So I set to work. I picked it because it was really more of the same, long and straight, but I still had to learn some new tricks to get the ribbed sleeves and seam them.I am pleased to say that it worked the first time, and I still get quite a bit of use out of it. Especially now that the weather is starting to turn a bit cooler, it's the perfect extra layer on a cooler fall morning.
I did make one slight alteration from the pattern, after I had finished the shrug I ripped out the sleeves and worked them in the round on smaller DPN's than called for in the pattern so the sleeves weren't so loose. Other then that, it was perfect! I even made a couple to give as Christmas presents last year.