A while ago (I think this is how most of my posts are going to start for a while as I get caught up). So a while ago I decided to make Lilly another knitted animal. Last Christmas I made her a giraffe and it was a huge hit, or at least I was proud of it, I don't know how much it gets played with, but that doesn't bother me so much. So I wanted to make something else. I'm not sure of the exact order of events, if I saw Purl Soho's Big Snowy Owl pattern and just had to make it, or if I desired to knit another animal and then found the pattern. I'm sure it's not important.
Now the only thing that caused me to hesitate with this project was the scale. This owl is HUGE!!! Take a look at him hanging out with a (live) cat.
So it seemed that if I followed the directions, the owl would be even bigger than Lilly is, so I did what I always seem to do, I adjusted. I really don't seem to be able to leave well enough alone when I get my hands on, and commit to, a pattern but I followed the directions as written only using size 9 DPN's instead of 15 the pattern called for. Honestly, another reason to use smaller needles was the stash yarn I used. The smaller needles were better for the Lion Brand Fisherman's wool I had on hand and that's an important consideration when you decide to modify a pattern. I wasn't looking to knit a lace owl with stuffing hanging out of it.
As you can see, smaller needles made Mr. Owl a much more manageable (and little-arm huggable) size.
He was so cute, I had to made a second owl for Megan and Blake's baby shower. Lilly got the white owl, Blake got a brown owl, and not to be left out, Baby D will be getting a grey owl. When I get around to it...