Sunday, October 2, 2011

Ruffled Scarf

Two years ago for Christmas I got a beautiful skein of alpaca yarn in one of my favorite shades of green from one of my best friends, along with a great book, One Skein Wonders. After carrying it around for a while; it was so soft and lovely it begged to be touched; I set it aside, determined to knit it into something special. It has been patiently waiting for me to decide on its final resting place ever since.

Don't think I've actually left it be all this time. I have unraveled it, played with it, searched the pages of One Skein Wonders, more than once started knitting something only to be unhappy with the result or to realize there just wasn't enough of it to finish and it would get set aside again. I even finished an entire scarf about 6 months ago; a skinny garter stitch thing with ruffles at either end; but I never wore it because I still felt like it just wasn't special enough for this lovely yarn. I really wanted to show it off!

Finally I came to terms with the fact that I was going to have to give it a friend and knit with two yarns to get a finished product I was satisfied with. I chose a cream colored yarn from Tonic, knit the middle of the scarf in seed stitch, and then knit ruffles down each side with my beautiful green yarn.


I still didn't want to make the scarf too long for fear of running our of the alpaca yarn, I only had about 120 yards, so I decided to knit a hole at one end so as to not have to wrap it around my neck several times as I do with the rest of my scarves.

Now I am so happy with this scarf and I actually don't mind the weather turning cooler because it means I will get a chance to wear it!

No comments: