Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To Knit or to Buy... That is the Question

One of the things I really love about being a knitter is seeing something when I'm shopping and thinking to myself, 'Self, you'd be crazy to spend money on this when you could just make it instead!'. In the fall this is especially bound to happen as sweaters, hats, scarves, and gloves all start to show up in my favorite stores. Sure, sometimes it's better to just spend the money then either search for a suitable pattern or spend the time making it yourself, but sometimes I just like the challenge and satisfaction of handmade.

So here are a couple of things I have seen this fall that seem to be crying out to be handmade instead of purchased.

I couldn't believe when I saw that Gap was selling this pair of fingerless gloves since it's probably one of the more common items to be found on Ravelry. They've been gaining in popularity since being spotted on both TV and in movies, and I think one of the reasons they've caught on so well is they're fairly easy to knit and the patterns are written for a variety of skill levels.

 If  you like these gloves from Gap, try your hand at these from Smariek Knits.


Fall is sweater weather and I really love a good short sleeve sweater because they help you dress for the weather when the day starts off cool but heats up in the afternoon. This sweater from Banana Republic is simple and elegant with a nice button detail down the back.


I could definitely wear something like this for years to come. I could also knit my own using a pattern like this, and simply adding buttons down the back.


This sweater, from The Limited, is also a popular style and nice for wearing over a long sleeve shirt on a chilly day.


There are lots of patterns available that would be very similar to this one, just pick your favorite and knit away!




Lastly, this is a sweater that first caught my eye from Ann Taylor LOFT, one of my favorite stores. I love the detail and the added layer that's easy to take off if I get too warm.

I think I could make a fair substitute using this pattern, but I might be more tempted to design it myself to make it as close to the original as possible.


Or maybe I'll just buy myself one... for research purposes of course.

No comments: