Saturday, March 9, 2013

Windy Wednesday

This past week was spring break for both of the schools where I teach so I took  Wednesday off with the intention of spending the day with Mom, Megan, and Lilly. Unfortunately the weather had other plans and while we didn't get any actual snow, as the seeming trend this year is to call for it, plan for it, make all the crazy people stock up on bread and milk, then proceed to NOT snow. I wonder if there are any weathermen who invest in wonderbread. Anyway, Lilly was at her home and not with my Mom, and Megan was at home with bronchitis, so I ended up staying home as well and instead listened to the crazy wind try to take me to the land of Oz. No snow but we did get rain and 20 mph winds with gusts of up to 50 mph!

Even though my original plans had been rain-checked, I wasn't about to let a perfectly good day off go to waste. I gathered all of the WIP's I have lying all over the house and dumped them in the living room in front of the fireplace and Netflix along with several knitting books, magazines, and new skeins of yarn I had been stashing for just such a day as this. I snuggled under the blanket with the cat and being the rational person I am, proceeded to completely ignore my WIP's and start two (yes, two) completely new projects.

I know what you’re thinking, because Chris has already said it to me. Why don't you finish what you've already started? (asked in that tone of voice that doesn't try to hide the fact that he believes he's married to a crazy person). In reply I just shrugged knowing he wouldn't understand my reasons.

The first WIP to get the shaft is a green sweater that I've been working on for over a year now. You may recognize this yarn, given to me two (yes, two) Christmases ago, and while that alone is a good reason to want to get this thing done, I just didn't want to get into it yesterday. 


The pattern is from a Vogue Knitting magazine and for any of you who have attempted a Vogue pattern, that’s enough said. For some reason, their sweater patterns seem to be unnecessarily complicated and in an attempt to simplify it, I seem to have created more work for myself in modifying their complicated pattern. On my day off, I just wasn't in the mood to read, interpret, write down my variation, and then knit.

WIP #2 is an adorable sweater from my Brave New Knits book which will eventually be gifted to Lilly, but being more suited for spring weather, there didn't seem to be a sense of urgency as I waited (in vain) to see snowflakes out my back door. 

I will also need 8 buttons to complete this project once I get it off my needles that I have yet to purchase, so even if I did complete this WIP it still wouldn't be 100%. On a side note, I did find an adorable yarn shop a few blocks from my office that in addition to some fantastic looking yarn, and a social knitting night, has lose buttons. I will be going back there often, but not too often as I can see it being a dangerous place to spend too much time in!

So, those are my excuses, and I am sticking to them! More on the new WIP's later!

No comments: